Working part-time in Japan(Dependent visa holders)

If you are dependent and looking for a part-time job in Japan, you must have to take care of many things. Let’s discuss it one by one.

For those dependents who want to work part-time jobs.

Those who wish to do some part-time jobs have to seek special permission. You have to go in-person to the immigration office and submit a filled “Application for Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted”. Please read the instructions here before proceeding. You should take your residence card and passport along with this filled form. If your application is genuine, you will get the permission on the same day itself. They will paste a stamp in your passport which allows you to permit engaging in activities other than that permitted by a dependant visa. You can work up to 28 hours a week with this permission.

(Spouse/ children of Japanese permanent visa holders and spouse of Japanese nationals have no legal restrictions in engaging in other activities.)

About the type of activities that you can engage

You are permitted to engage in any sort of activities (than sexual). There are no other restrictions than the weekly hours allowed for you to engage in other activities. You can work a maximum of 28 hours a week.

  • There is no restriction on the amount that you can earn. But once you earn more than a specified limit, you family expense on social insurance and your income tax may hike. Please read this article to know more about the dependent’s income issues while working part-time.

If you want to work more than 28 hours

If you want to work more than that allowed by the special permission provided, you must change your visa from dependent on working visa. After getting a working visa, you will no longer be having any restrictions on your working hours.